Pages

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Rhubarb Roundup ~ Rhubarb Berry Crunch*

by
Morwen

  It's rhubarb harvesting time, well I harvested the first crop of it anyway, and when I mentioned it to a friend, she said she'd never eaten rhubarb.  Every year I learn of one more person I know that hasn't tasted it.  I offered to give her some recipes and decided to post my favorite rhubarb recipes here.  Why the 'roundup'?  It's also time to move the cattle up to spring pasture and they are driven right past our house.  Plus, since I'm posting multiple recipes, "Rhubarb Roundup" just fit!

  This first recipes is the one I make most often.  While a sweet, dessert-ish recipe, it also makes an excellent and wholesome breakfast alongside eggs and bacon.

  Crust and Crumb
  1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  ½ cup Honey OR 1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
  ¾ cup Quick Oats (I use Rolled Oats)
  1 tsp Cinnamon
  ½ cup Butter

  In a bowl, combine Flour, Honey/Sugar, Oats and Cinnamon; cut in the Butter until crumbly.  Press half of the mixture into a 9" square baking pan.  

  Filling
  4 cups Rhubarb, fresh or frozen, sliced
  2 cups Berries (I've used many different kids, strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries)

  Combine Berries; spoon over crust.

  Sauce
  ½ cup Honey OR 1 cup Sugar
  2 TBSP Cornstarch
  1 cup Water
  1 tsp Vanilla Extract

  In a saucepan, combine Honey/Sugar and Cornstarch.  Stir in Water and Vanilla; bring to a boil over medium heat.  Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes until thickened.  Pour over Fruit.  Sprinkle with remaining Crumb mixture.  Bake on 350° for 1 hour.  Revel in the deliciousness!!

  * Taken from the Countryside & Small Stock Journal Sept/Oct '07 issue.

2 comments: